Friday, November 15, 2013

Monday Muses - Picture Books



I would say my favorite picture book is Yoko
by Rosemary Wells. This book brings up not 
only my childhood memories, but also the 
building of my brothers.
I’m not sure where we got this book, but 
it has been a favorite in my family. It is 
a sweet story about this Japanese cat 
(or some animal) that goes to school and 
is bullied by her animal peers about her 
food—her bento box for lunch, her red
 bean ice cream. 



So her teacher creates 
National Food Day, where all the kids 
in the class have to bring in a food from 
their nationality, and Yoko brings in a
big sushi platter, but no one touches a 
single piece except for one, very hungry 
raccoon—and the two become great 
friends and start their own restaurant 
with food from booth their nationalities!
It is the cutest, loveliest little story. 
Also, I love Japanese food, and there 
are fantastic illustrations of it all.
When I was younger, my parents 
used to read me stories every night, 
and this book was often on the reading 
“menu.” Sometimes, when my parents 
go out, I read this story to my brother. 
We literally know the story by heart,
but it never gets old and Yoko is like our 
little friend that we know is always there 
with the same story!


4 comments:

  1. I really love this post because of the memories that you described. I also really love the story because I really love to cook (as we all know), and I also love Japanese food. I like the way that you wrote this because you showed how this is a very important book that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you added pictures from the book to your post! I loved this book when I was little! You did a great job of connecting it to your childhood experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of good details in this post! Your tone of voice and addition of multiple pictures kept me interested all the way to the end. The connections you made also added to how strong the post was. I, just like every other human alive, also love Japanese food! Anyway, all in all, this is a great Monday Muses post, and was written very strong;y. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tone of voice in this piece was what kept me reading. It was very well written and it seems like a fun book to have read! You mad very good connections too. Good job!

    ReplyDelete