Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Catcher in the Rye

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, an what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger, tells the story of Holden Caulfield- a young man, perhaps he would like to be called- and his journey over the course of a few days as he runs away from his prep school. His use of language, his elderly innocence, and his negativity are just a few of the aspects that bring out Caulfield's authenticity. His character is a topic to be deeply explored and analyzed.


Perhaps the most conspicuous aspect of Holden Caulfied is his voice. How he speaks, the cadence and rythem of his speech begin to bring out his character from the very first line of the book. Holden writes that he doesn't believe in all that "Copperfield kind of crap,." Who cares where he was born, his backstory, his family life? Dismisive, sarcastic, and caustic, Holden's personality is very much revealed through how he narrates the story- and that is a puzzling personality. His use of the words "Chrissake," "Goddam," and all other curse words of the typical speech of the 1950's, as I am assuming, give us spectators a sense that we're reading an older person's voice in a younger person's body. What he sees through his own dialogue helps create his character- but is he witty, sarcastic, against the world? Does he use his slang to protect him, to engage him in the world, does he think out loud? Although his sharp attitude comes off as audacious, there must be more to him.


As the narration continues, it begins to be clear that Holden knows what he's against- all the bullshit in this world. Against the phonies. Against pretension. But he isn't quite sure what he's for. Although Caulfield has been to many private boarding schools- his parents in search of providing him with a good education- he seems hellbent to be kicked out- he's indifferent to success, to participating in his school, disinterested in studying for college: he suggests that these things aren't really the most important things. He's refusing to get on with the next chapters of life, and his refusal is putting him down. This ambivalence frames him as an anti-hero.


Although it seems Holden is falling sideways, there is also a part of him that is searching for someone to talk to. Caulfield comes off as a traveler- a kid who talks to girls, buys them a drink, and leaves. A kid who makes friends with the cab driver, and leaves. A guy who doesn't really know where his home is. "So I left. It made me mad, though, when I was getting my coat. People are always ruining things for you." Holden is also always mentioning how depressed he is. He can't go back to his school, as he was kicked out, and he can't go home, because his family thinks he's still at school. But after constantly screwing with girls and smoking and sitting alone, drink after drink at bars, a loneliness seems to creep up like Holden's shadow. "What I really felt like, though, was committing suicide. I felt like jumping out the window. I probably would've done it, too, if I'd been sure somebody'd cover me up as soon as I landed. I didn't want a bunch of stupid rubbernecks looking at me when I was all gory." Holden is transitioning into adulthood- he refuses to hold on to any childhood innocence. And he has no where to go, no place to be, and no one to be with.

In conclusion, the dominance of the novel is the idea that nothing really matters. Holden doesn't see the need to care about anything- and this may be because he has nothing to care about. As I think about his voice, his tone, his personality, I've realized that maybe he's the part of us that doubts the signs of outwards success or ambition. What's it really mean? Is Caulfield in search of the genuine, or has he given up? The Catcher in the Rye was a fantastic novel, and I sincerely hope that Holden goes on to find himself.



// "I don't really care." \\

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Lola! I really like all the detail you put in. I like the intial paragrph to your reading response. I like all the books you put in. This book seems dark but I would like to read it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lola, if you don't become an author, then i don't understand life. THIS IS SOOOOO GOOD!!! I love all the and i like how you included the paragraph in the beginning which you related all of your other paragraphs to. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete